Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter Two

+5
Shorjahl
Forgeless Kilik
Osvald Hale
Kellar
Ao
9 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:03 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 5

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 18

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:12 pm

Shorjahl looks in some confusion at Custer's outburst, but then weakly smiles as the gnome and woman disappear around the corner. He kind of shrugs sheepishly - that element of timidity when they first met reappearing. He describes the tattoo as best as he can, using prestidigitation to conjure a small image of black smoke in the air in front of his hands - careful not to show it out in public of the street, blocking it with his body only so Cuss and his companions can see.

"I've no idea what it means, other than perhaps some kind of secret society or shared past. I've little knowledge of such matters," he waves his hand and the symbol dissipates. As Custer waltzes back inside, Shorjahl stands at his shoulder, clasping his hands behind his back and standing in a comfortable wide stance, his face calm and resolute behind his hin friend.

He shares a brief look with the others, encouraging them to play along. Perhaps this would net them a more direct answer than skullduggery with the Harpers would anyhow...
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue24/24Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue4/4Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (4/4)

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:44 pm

[if you are assisting I roll with advantage, my bad. two more respective rolls.]
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue49/49Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (49/49)
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue6/6Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (6/6)

Back to top Go down

Post  DiceMaster Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:44 pm

#1 'D20' : 9

#2 'D20' : 13

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Back to top Go down

Post  Osvald Hale Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Maintaining his drunken guise, Osvald had scarcely made it outside to see the harpers storming away, had barely reached his companions when Cuss wheeled back past him into the tavern.

"...Ah."

Decidedly out of his element, the ranger scratches his jaw idly as he watches the party re-enter the tavern, follows them in back towards their table, happy to return to drinking... But... Cuss moves past it... Sits... With the drow? Great.

'Guess we're getting killed after all?'

=====

Still hanging back, Osvald leans on a table just to the side of the couch, his hand slips down toward his dagger, ready to hurl it if the elf makes a move.

Osvald will use his vantage point to look over the other patrons, to see if any have taken an interest in the conversation on the couch.

Perception: 3+4=7

Last edited by Osvald Hale on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Osvald Hale
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue41/41Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (41/41)
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue4/4Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (4/4)

Back to top Go down

Post  DiceMaster Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:49 pm

The member 'Osvald Hale' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 3

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Back to top Go down

Post  Ao Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Chapter Two - Page 3 ShadowThievesSymbol

Custer recognizes it as the crest of the Shadow Thieves.

-Ao
Ao
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue1/1Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0/0Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgeless Kilik Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:06 pm

Kilik stands behind Custer, his thick arms crossed on his barrel of a chest.

This jus' might be the stone worst plan I've ever been a part of...I wonder how far it be to Esmelda’s?

He smiled pleasantly at the warrior to the drow's side. The little fella has his focus on the dark elf...I'd best keep this big lad settled.

------------------------
Actions:
Kilik is backing Custer up and keeping an eye on the warrior to make sure there's no funny business. Also: anything I can learn by looking at him?

Perception: 8

(No; no there is not.)

Last edited by Forgeless Kilik on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forgeless Kilik
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue33/33Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (33/33)
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue3/3Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

Back to top Go down

Post  DiceMaster Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:06 pm

The member 'Forgeless Kilik' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 3

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Back to top Go down

Post  Kellar Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:36 am

…Geld rubs his temples, and looks to Custer and Kellar.
“I don’t know what your friends are attempting. But it hardly commands the subtlety required here.”

“I believe they are finding an answer to your question. If it so happens that Little One has a connection to that drow down there, then so be it. We’ll use any means necessary to complete the task at hand. I’ll admit that Shorjahl acted rather quickly, but take that as you will,” Kellar finished. With that he stood up and slowly trailed after Adrianna down the steps. He noticed that she more or less bolted for Shorjahl and the drow. With Adrianna’s backside to him, he stopped at the bottom of the step and observed the room for any parties that may have been interested in the goings on at that table. Perception Roll= 14+1= 15

Within moments, Ardrianna grabbed Shorjahl and nearly dragged him from his seat as they left. Orbaugh, follow them, I’ll meet you outside. Orbaugh dodged between legs and feet shuffling as the company was hurried out the door. Probably better that you're with me in this case, Orbaugh. Orbaugh met up with Kellar as Adrianna went on about this, that and the other, with Geld standing by silently. Careful Adrianna, you may expire before we get the chance to spar, chuckled Kellar as he tapped in his chest, then nodding to Adrianna. Adrianna and Geld stormed off. Kellar sees Osvald shamble out, appearing a bit intoxicated. Does this man drink like this all the time, he wondered.

He approached Lord Hale while Shorjahl and Custer were talking about the events of the last few minutes. He whispered, Osvald by chance would you work with me regarding ranger skills? I can throw a javelin okay, but I’d like a few points on hunting, tracking and the use of a bow. I’ve only ever been in close range a lot of the time when fighting dragons. It’s easy to hit things with a javelin if you’re at short range, I’d like to expand that distance by a considerable margin.

Not knowing if Osvald heard all that he said or not, he stepped away and trailed back into the Inn behind Custer and Shorjahl. Kellar noted Osvald’s actions as they re-enter the Inn, he mimics his actions but instead heads toward the stair, to box in the drow and the other at the table.

Last edited by Kellar on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
Kellar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue49/49Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (49/49)
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue6/6Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (6/6)

Back to top Go down

Post  DiceMaster Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:36 am

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 14

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:16 am

Custer glances at the warrior, and adds, "Oh, right, the Tattoo. I'm not familiar with your interpretation of the code, but when was the last time ya saw her at a meeting? The name's Custer, ah, sir." Cuss winks.
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ao Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:31 pm

[Custer, Persuasion and Insight rolls:]

You spread out throughout the Inn, watching as Custer approaches the drow.

There is a palpable sense of silence as the dark-skinned elf catches sight of the halfling. Custer's cloak slides down his neck, and the drow's face warps into a contorted grimace of malice and hatred.

Even the bard across the room catches sight of this tension, and abruptly ceases to play his instrument.

A fat, tan-skinned man laughing in the corner aside the fire seems to choke on his wine.

"Custer Thickett..."

The drow's words cut through the air, and it seems to sour like old milk.

K'Tesh stands up abruptly, pulling a dagger from his belt with the same degree of ease that one might run a hand through their hair.

The barmaid gasps, and backs away from the group.

K'Tesh pauses, nearly choking on his own breath.

"What a pleasant surprise." he says, in that high-toned voice. But the words are muffled behind his clenched teeth, and any pretense of control or sarcasm are ruined.

Custer watches as K'Tesh's eyes brush briefly over the writ that the halfling is holding out. But any recognition is completely obscured by the fire and fury in the assassin's eyes.

[Insight]You can tell he wants to kill you in the most extravagent fashion available.

Suddenly, footsteps ring out from behind you. The fat man from the corner is running over to you. He wears an ornate purple turban, and jewelled shoes in the style of Calishite noblemen.

"Please! Master K'Tesh. I beg of you. Take your business to the streets. Not in the Sands, please!"

K'Tesh can scarcely breathe. The other patrons of the Sands begin gathering their things, some heading for the door.

The Warrior remains seated. But his hand is on his blade.

======================

Ok Cuss. He doesn't look to be in the mood to discuss the writ. For what it's worth, it doesn't appear that he recognizes it in any obvious fashion, but that doesnt say much given his current disposition. I'm allowing another post rotation for your reactions.

Despite his drawn dagger, he has not lunged at you or anything. And his warrior friend is obviously standing by.

Kellar, your perception roll to observe the patrons of the Sands reveals no obvious spies or conspirators that are paying you any heed.

EXP: +20 each

Ao
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Character sheet
Health:
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue1/1Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0/0Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Custer laughs, dismissively.  "I've met Orcs with more tact."  Cuss rolls up the writ and places it back in his pocket.  "Me apologies, proprietor."  

----

I need to re-write my post if it isn't still a sunny day outside.  Custer would love nothing more than to get K'Tesh in the street, and coerce he and the warrior into a fight with the crew.  Custer will want to take them alive and then drag them to a nice narrow ally for a more civil discussion.  Custer will not one on one duel with K'Tesh, though, no matter how bright it is outside.

[Action: Double post to roll attack on K'Tesh.]

Last edited by Custer Thickett on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:30 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Han shot first)
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kellar Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:42 pm

Kellar observes Cus approach K'Tesh and begin talking. Kellar sees that K'Tesh has pulled his dagger out in one smooth movement. Hmm, quick little drow there. I'm ready for him, Kellar thinks as he loosens the chain from his side and locks it onto his newly made javelin.

Orbaugh, be ready to run along the length of chain and use your stinger. Yes Master, I ready!

Kellar rests the readied javelin on his shoulder, ready to hurl it toward K'Tesh or the other person sitting there.

Actions:
Readied Action- Javelin Toss w/chain attachment.
Orbaugh- ready to use poison sting, if needed.
Kellar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:27 pm

His smile never breaking, Custer lunges at K'Tesh, using his right hand to smoothly produce a dagger from his left bracer.  

[Knife fight!  Rolling sneak attack assassinate on K'Tesh.]

[Han shot first, rolling with advantage (assassinate), will save damage for lair. +5]

Last edited by Custer Thickett on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  DiceMaster Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:27 pm

'D20' : 5, 16

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Back to top Go down

Post  Kellar Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:08 pm

Quick little bastard, Kellar said as he witnessed Cus move in to stab K'Tesh in the throat. The caribiner clicked into place on his javelin and he hurled it at the man sitting across from K'Tesh!

Attack roll= 10+3=13
Strength check= 14+4= 18

Actions:
If attack roll is successful and he sticks the man with the javelin, he'll yank the man from his seat onto the floor.
If the attack roll is not successful, he'll use the STR check to yank himself toward the man, attacking with his lance.
OOC: I would treat the "yank himself toward the man as a 'lunge' attack with the lance (using battlemaster trait, depends on how it goes!)

Last edited by Kellar on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
Kellar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  DiceMaster Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:08 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 10

#2 'D20' : 14

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:26 am

Shorjahl was ready for bloodshed - but on the part of the drow, not his comrades. After a momentary hesitation, the familiar ringing chime of his bracer erupted through the room. A brilliant glowing light, undulating with arcane power, filled the sleepy inn. Keeping his jaw set, brow folded, nostrils flaring in exertion and anger. His hand extended and uncoiled as three tight packets of quavering energy toward the drow - the air shredding and stinking with torn ozone as they impacted the dark one.

9 damage with magic missile.

Last edited by Shorjahl on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue24/24Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (24/24)

Back to top Go down

Post  DiceMaster Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:26 am

The member 'Shorjahl' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D4' : 2, 3, 1

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgeless Kilik Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Kilk is not much of one for murdering strangers who've done him no harm, and is taken aback by his comrades' actions.

Have yer gone mad? he shouts as the others erupt into violence. This be not the way!

----------------
Actions:
Kilik Dodges. (Attacks against me have Disadvantage, and I have Advantage on Dex saves)
Forgeless Kilik
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Character sheet
Health:
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue33/33Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (33/33)
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue3/3Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:09 pm

"We aren't here to kill him, but his intention is clear!" Shorjahl shouts to the dwarf. "Just subdue him!" He calls out to the other comrades.
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Custer clips flesh with his quick move.  He back away a step expecting a counter.  Even anticipating it, Custer is still somewhat surprised when three pockets of contorted energy soar past him to slam into K'Tesh.  Custer shifts his weight as he responds to Kilik and Shorjahl behind him, "Don't hurt the other unless he draws his steel.  Somebody mind the door."  As Custer smiles and moves with K'Tesh, he says, "I've gotten faster.  Mayhaps faster than you.  Ya can't win, so drop the dagger and sit back down."
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ao Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:59 pm

K’Tesh reels as Custer strikes with his dagger, the blow glancing off of the dark elf’s armor.

[K’Tesh uses Evasion(reaction), halving damage from custer]

“Faster than me? My, Thickett. You’ve gotten big for your britches."

The drow tucks into a low spin as Kellar’s javelin sails past he and the sitting warrior, embedding purposefully into the expensive velvet sofa.

[Kellar missed the warrior]

K’Tesh positions himself to strike Custer, when Shorjahl’s missile rips through the air and cracks against his chest.

The drow stumbles back, looking about the room at the fellows.

“I see you’ve brought friends to do your bidding. No, we fight on my terms.”

Suddenly, where once the Dark Elf was standing, an inky blackness permeates out 15 feet. Immediately, Custer is unable to see, his eyes obscured by the magical darkness.

[K’Tesh casts Darkness(action)]
[K’Tesh disengages for free (Custer cannot see through the magical darkness)]

Custer can hear footsteps echoing across the polished hardwood away from him as he screams “Mind the door!”

[K’Tesh uses Cunning Action(bonus move) to Dash, granting 30 movement speed this round]

All around you, is blackness. Across the room, you can hear the turabaned proprietor screaming and cursing in Calishite.

===================

OK guys. Here’s the situation. You believe that K’Tesh is fleeing for the door. Because Custer shouted “mind the door”, I’m going to give you all advantage on your checks to "catch up to him" at the door.

In order to catch up to K’Tesh, I need an opposed DEX check vs. his DEX check, which is: 16… do not use Acrobatics for this, please. Straight DEX.

If you catch him, you may make a melee attack or grapple. There is no need to try and catch him if you’re just making a ranged attack.

In order to restrain him with a grapple action, I need an opposed Athletics or Acrobatics check vs his: 20

If he is not grappled, he will escape out the door at the end of this turn. Only those of you that managed to “catch up to ” him (the DEX check) will be able to follow him out in time to see which way he is going. If none of you “catch up to ” him, and he isn’t grappled, then he will escape.

SIDEBAR:

This whole combat situation is questionable. Most of you are of “good” alignment, and attacking someone without provocation is not really in line with that. That said, I know K’Tesh did pull out a dagger in anger, and re-reading that part I see that it seemed like he was about to attack Cuss, so Imma let that slide.

A word of warning though: Kellar threw his spear at K’Tesh’s warrior companion, who is sitting on the sofa. He has his hand on his sword, but he has not moved to attack anyone yet.

Throwing a spear at him is definitely not a Neutral Good action. Not only has he not engaged in the combat, he is still sitting down.

No XP penalties right now, but in the future please know that attacking NPCs who have not explicitly threatened you, in a public space, is a pretty serious crime (and inherently evil act).

In addition, I apologize if I wasn’t clear enough about what was happening. In the future, feel free to ask / clarify with me about the level of threat before the bullets start flying. I’m not against reckless behaviour, but sometimes your character’s moral fibre (IE- Alignment) will factor in to the decision vs. what is your optimal attack pattern.

Sorry for the long-winded rant

EXP: +20 Kellar, Kilik, Custer and Shorjahl
Ao
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:10 pm

"Stop!" Shorjahl screams at K'Tesh, his voice magically amplified. He had only ever fought other magic users when training at the Arcanum, and then he'd lost miserably. He couldn't lose this time. This entire scenario sickened him, and he felt entirely responsible. But now, it was his mess to clean up, and his penance to pay for the wrongdoings. The mage rounds on the warrior, veins in his neck protruding, the light from his bracer struggling and failing against the darkness. "Remain unarmed and you will live!"

With another concentration of energy upon the drow's unique magical signature, he fires a blast of arcane missiles toward him. He doesn't wish to kill him, but allowing him to leave will create far more dire consequences, he fears. As he fires, he chases toward the drow, not to catch him, but to keep him in his sights as he exits the inn.

-------------
8 MM damage.

Last edited by Shorjahl on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  DiceMaster Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:10 pm

The member 'Shorjahl' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D4' : 2, 2, 1

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:59 pm

From the darkness, Custer calls out, "Let em go! I'll not be seeing the coward's back when he dies. Everybody else stays!"

Custer catches his breath and feels in the dark for the couch. When he feels the cushion, he sits and waits for the darkness to dissipate. His dagger still in hand, Custer says, "Listen, big guy, it weren't our intentions to go starting a fight. If ya know K'Tesh as I do, then ya know well that when he draws, one is left with few options."

Custer looks to his comrades, trying to convey I'm sorry, I'll explain soon. with his expression. Custer sighs aloud, then calls out to the room, "If you didn't already hear, my name is Custer Thickett. This matter was an internal dispute over business dealings, and no more. You know us well enough to keep out of it. You can go now if you please, but if you'll do the Sand's the favor of staying, the next round's on me!"

Cuss waves the Calishite over, "Ya right, this was... Yes, I kn... Close ya trap! Keep the gold that was paid for our rooms and stabling, and put it to the cost of beverage for your remaining guest. We'll take our leave to the Borrow. If ya have further complaint, ya can take it to my father. Now, give us a moment by the Hearth before we go." Custer waves the owner away, dismissively.

Custer levels a narrow stare at the warrior. He says, matter of fact, "I don't know you." He waits for the warrior to introduce himself, toss an insult, or otherwise, then continues, "I'd like to save you a long walk up the hill. Tell me what you know now, and I'll let ya run after em. Don't make me ask nicely." Custer turns the dagger over in his hand, "What did they take from Athkatla and what are they planning with the Orcs? Make sure I like your answer." Custer turns the dagger again, and smiles.

-----

[Custer's willing to let K'Tesh run and attempt to interrogate the warrior. The statement Shorahl conveyed, "it will be over in a matter of hours" indicates he knows something that Custer would also like to know. Custer's mannerisms and voice have distinctly changed, as he comfortably slides into his normal position, no longer hiding his identity.]
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Shorjahl's immediately confused, skidding to a stop by the door as he looks out after the drow, his bracer glowing and humming with energy. He breathes heavily, but snaps his mouth shut in exasperation and anger. As Custer begins speaking with the warrior, Shorjahl leans over the chair he was seated in but a few moments ago when talking to K'Tesh, looking flatly at the man.

His azure eyes, troubled and weary, flick to Killik. His confidence remains shaken.
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgeless Kilik Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Kilik is furious as he cautiously feels his way outside of the darkness, making no move to pursue the fleeing drow.

The dwarf glowered darkly at the others, struggling to force the words from between his clenched teeth. What. Have. Ye. Done?

His nostrils flared as he steadied his breathing. Are we to add 'cutthroats' an' 'murderers' to our list o' proud accomplishments, then?

An' you, he rounded on Custer. if ye've a mind to go stickin' yer knife in old wounds, take a care ye do it with a word an' a thought to what happens next. That was an unprovoked bit o' vengeance on folk who offered us no harm, an' I'll not sit by while we slaughter our way from one tavern to the next, whatever the insults of yer past.

Kilik stomps over to the tavernmaster and apologizes as profusely as his anger and his pride will allow.
Forgeless Kilik
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Custer waits for Kilik to finish, and then as the dwarf turns, he says, "Me thinks he didn't intend on insulting me past with that dagger in his hand, Master Kilik."  Custer sighs again, "But ya right, I should be more... diligent."  Custer smiles at the warrior and turns the dagger over in his hand twice more.
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kellar Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:14 pm

The darkness erupted from where K'Tesh was sitting. Cus had hollered out, mind the door. Kellar knew his javelin did not find its mark. The loud > Thunk! < as it struck the wood underneath the upholstered sofa was apparent.

Kellar dashed toward the warrior but halted at the words of Cus, and the booming voice of Shorjahl. Kellar collected Orbaugh and lifted the pseudodragon back onto his shoulder and with a mighty pull, ripped the javelin from the sofa, along with shards of wood and torn material.

He collected the chain and javelin and disconnected the chain from the javelin, and stowed them both.

I'm sorry Master Dwarf, I was protecting Little One's backside. His side was exposed to the warrior sitting there, he confessed.

I'm not a cutthroat or murderer. You should be thankful I'm willing to protect people that are reckless, he said pointedly at Kilik. This isn't the first time we've had to protect people that have acted irrationally, he continued, as he thumbed in the direction of Shorjahl.

Kellar handed the Inn keeper a few gold pieces to cover the damage caused by the javelin and the subsequent removal.

He picked a location away from the group while within earshot of the discussion. You don't know what it's like to not have someone protect your flank Master Dwarf.
Kellar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Shorjahl's temper has cooled, and he looks grimly at Kilik during his clenched-jawed outrage. The young arcanist hangs his head, opening his mouth several times but snapping it shut each time in stifled anger. He glares at the warrior, pursing his lips and then wiping his face once with a sweaty palm - scratching through his beard and stretching out his eyelids.

"We all need to have a discussion after this," he nods to the warrior. "The transition from survival to the city isn't as easy as I'd expected," Shorjahl's eyes meet Kilik's in a state of weakened desperation, but it is quickly marshaled behind the cold blue gaze of the wizard. It's obvious to the older and wiser dwarf that the young human has never been through such a tumultuous period in his life as the past week, and the slightly trembling hand dangling over the back of the chair he leans against is an indication of his building stress level.
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Osvald Hale Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Osvald blinked through the darkness as it dissipated and candlelight again began to pierce through the blackness, illuminating the tavern once more.

The bar floor was nearly empty. Most patrons had fled, knocking over tables and abandoning half full drinks and unfinished meals.

The ranger sighed wearily and shook his head as he released his grip on his dagger and hand axe. The drow was gone, and everyone still had heads a'top their necks, so it wasn't a total loss...

'...What was that Cuss had said about subtlety?' Osvald thought grimly to himself. They'd now lost the harpers and the benefit of stealth, and the task set before them seemed to grow more daunting by the hour as their advantages dwindled to naught.

Above it all Kiliks voice boomed.

"The dwarf is right," Said Osvald as he moved toward Shorjahl. "We're all prepared to look out for each other, spill blood if need be, and that's... good. ...But this isn't the wilds. We'll do no good for the realm spending the rest of our lives in irons for murder. I've spent my time on both sides of the law and let me tell you, That other path ain't no way to live."

The rangers eyes scanned the room as saw nothing but contempt from the few patrons that remained as they began to angrily right chairs and resume their evening.

"Ah... perhaps we best find new accommodations for the evening. Cuss what do you th--" The ranger stopped himself as he turned to see the halfling now speaking with the large man on the couch...

'Theres a halfling hellbent on trouble if I ever saw one.'

Unsure what to do, Osvald turns to Killik for guidance, shrugging and gesturing to the couch...

=====

Osvald makes no attempt to stop the drow, very unsure of what they've gotten themselves into. No significant actions, really.
Osvald Hale
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:
Chapter Two - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue41/41Chapter Two - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (41/41)

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:39 pm

The arcanist looks to the ranger, speaking low. "As I said, we'll need to speak after." He nods to the warrior again, allowing Cuss to finish.
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ao Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:22 pm

The Calishite walks about in a manic huff, watching as patron’s filter out from the Golden Sands as the darkness dissipates.

The drow is long gone, and his mercenary warrior friend stands and looks down at Custer.

“Oh, I knows who you are little Thickett. I work for yer father, after all.” he smiles broadly.

“An’ I know he’s been wonderin where you been. An’ what you been up to. An’ I’m sure he’ll hear about this little mishap.”

The warrior starts walking for the door.

“I dunno what you’re blabberin’ about Orcs and Athkatla for. I ain’t got a clue. An’ even if I did, you know I’d know better than to tell you, now don’t you? Take it up with yer father.”

The warrior opens the door, and walks out into the cold night.

[…]

The Calishite’s face is completely blue at this point.

“Out! Out! You ruffians! You brigands! My velour! My sofa! Out! And never come back!”

He takes your gold anyhow, and shoos you toward the door.

=====================

Ok guys. You’re no longer welcome at the Golden Sands. The warrior is unintimidated by you, Custer, though you can pursue him if you please.

If you’re inclined to have a group conversation to re-group and figure things out, hanging out at the stable outside is probably an ideal place to do so. Also, you’ll want to grab your horses, likely.

EXP: +20 to all

-Ao
Ao
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:29 pm

Shorjahl nods apologetically to the proprietor and any other patrons, then walks out without a word. "Cuss, we need to talk." The arcanist leads them all to the stables outside of the structure, looking furtively around for anyone who has taken an undue interest in the party.

"Can you explain what's going on?" he asks the hin. He's not angry, but clearly upset and strained. He sighs then looks to the group. "I apologize for my actions. I hadn't the slightest clue of what I was getting myself into." He hangs his head and looks at his feet, humiliated. "I've been so eager to assist you all, I've been alone for so long..." he trails off, his bearded cheeks growing flush in embarrassment and emotion.

"I'll be more prudent in the future," he looks up, his face hardened, his jaw set. Then looks to Cuss, expecting him to speak.
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:19 pm

Custer is confused by the warrior.  If he was employed by the senior Thickett, why didn't Cuss know him?  Custer gets up and follows the warrior to the door, carefully tucking his dagger under the glistening black studded leather of his left bracer as he walked.  Each had pockets inside for the safe stowing of such blades.  "Aye, I will.  What is ya name?"  Custer watches him stroll away from just outside the doorway.  

Custer "Prudent? Quit hanging ya head, Shorjy.  This is my folly, and I'll not see you scorned again for it."  Custer looks at each of his companions, and his confidence wanes as he takes notice of the stern look each one of them was giving him.  Well, this all could have went better.  Stupid, Cuss.  Bloody stupid.

He wets his lips and looks about, to be sure the stable boy was not eavesdropping as so many often do.  He then tries to explain, "Well, I, uh, guess it's no big secret that I'm Lincoln Thickett's son.  I would have told you all much sooner, as I had Osvald, but Adrianna's presence made it rather difficult.  Her apparent disdain for my father would have seen us to a scuffle, I am certain."  Custer voice trails a bit as his eyes wonder, "As an outsider to Amn, her anger made little sense, but that tatoo...  He refocuses his gaze in Kilik's angry eyes, and continues with renewed focus.  "I had no intention to talk to K'Tesh until she made such a scene and hasty flight.  At the time, I was almost certain she may be colluding with the Shadows after-all.  Never mind that, my approaching him was clearly a mistake.  However, I am curious how you act differently if a hated enemy drew a steel blade on you like that, Master Dwarf.  What path would the righteous walk when in such immediate danger?"  Custer lets the question hang before continuing further.
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgeless Kilik Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Hells, lad as the rush of his anger faded, Kilik felt drained. I'm nae here to tell ye how to live yer life. Yer path is for yer own feet to find - an' that goes for all of us.

He shook his head as he looked at each of the others in turn. But I know that we are watched, an' judged, by those far beyond our ken. The gods fill our lives with roads, an' leave it to us to choose which ones we walk down. An' there's precious few o' those roads that lead to joy, an' a great many that find only sorrow.

Now, it could well be that that dark elf and 'is big fella are overdue for a bit' o' their own judgment, an' I don't doubt that they've served ye wrong afore now. But there's a time an' a place for such work, and that weren't it. We stood as guests under another man's roof, filled with folk who had no quarrel with us, an' we poked that dark skinned bear in the eye to serve nothin' but our pride. That ain't a good road to be walkin', an' it's easier to correct a course at the beggin' o' the journey than at the end.

I've said me peace, an' we've work to be about.
Forgeless Kilik
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Shorjahl quietly listens to the two speak. His gaze flicks to Kellar and Osvald, waiting to see if they have anything to say. He runs his fingers through his thick dark hair absentmindedly.
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Osvald Hale Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:40 pm

The ranger stands in the gathering gloom as the halfling and dwarf say their piece.

"At the very least we've escaped the battle o' the sands with all our bits attached," He says, trying to lighten the mood. "Though I'm wary of what traps might lie ahead of us now. Cuss.. Cus-ter? You made it pretty clear to me you didn't want your father knowing you'd returned. Is this concern big enough we best leave the city?"

Osvald looks around the group;

"I've thrown my chips in with you lot, and so far we've done well working together... But in the Teeth we had a clear goal. Trouble is on the horizon, I can sense it, and I'm sure you all can as well. We stand a good chance of quelling this evil on the rise, or at least learning enough we can assist the powers that can."
He pauses, spits on the ground."I'm no leader, and not one for fancy speeches, but we need to decide where and how we apply our strength. The bow breaks most easily when the axe strikes true. Between Orcs, Harpers, Halfings, and Drow, I'm not sure who we're fighting."

Osvald looks around to the others.

"Master Kilik is right. I won't become the marauders we fight against. So say, now, what task we shall set before us, and let's go see if we can't fare better at the lives of amateur noble adventurers?"

The huntsmans grin glints in the failing light.

=====

Just talkin'.
Osvald Hale
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Shorjahl seems emboldened by Osvald's words. He nods in agreement and straightens his posture at the end. "I agree. We should concentrate our efforts. I'm most concerned with the orcs growing bold and orderly. If this city looks only toward its internal strife and thieves, it very well may have a militarized orc force raiding against its farms and at its gates." The wizard sighs, then looks out over the dimming city.

"I know not the ways of shadow thieves and assassins and forgerers. I can identify items with the proper time and material components, and I can hold my own in a fight," he smiles somewhat sheepishly, then looks to grow a bit ill as his thoughts wander to the popping, viscera-laden bodies he'd rent so often in the last tenday.

He blinks the thought away, looking back to the others. "I'll do whatever we all think is best. I don't want to muck anything else up. I'll even go back and speak with those supposed Harpers and see if we can't repair relations."
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:07 pm

"Me thinks there was a bit more to it than pride, but ya have the most of it right, Kilik.  It weren't the place."  Custer shifts some of the dirt on the ground with his foot while he looks down.  "I've been on a path of joy only to see others burn it to sorrow.  She was my salvation, and they killed her.  She didn't deserve..."  Custer sniffles and wipes his nose with his palm.  "Her name was Agata Tree, daughter of a proud Halfling noble from Riatavin.  We thought our love was secret..."  Custer silently shudders a brief moment, then continues.  "The last time I saw her, words were laced with anger and scorn.  She told me she had wished she had never met me so that her mother wouldn't have to bear the pain of knowing her daughter was in love with a criminal."

Custer's head swoons and his knees feel weak.  He stumbles to sit down on the filthy floor of the stable.  With one arm straightened behind him and another holding a bent knee, he continues his tale in a whisper, "My father's men tainted the supplies of her entourage before they left the city walls, and so followed her out of town.  All they had to do was wait for them all to fall ill, then walk right into camp with Orc blades.  It was a slaughter.  I pray to Waukeen that she had already succumbed to their poison and that they had not the chance to r-r-r."  Custer stutters.  "It's my fault."  Custer squeezes his eyes shut hard, and a tear falls.  

"The reason I am telling you all this is because after I found out, I bid my time in silence, and waited for the right moment, much unlike I demonstrated in the Sands with K'Tesh.  When I last left this city, it was on assignment with two of father's men, Julani and Rorge.  The same two."  Custer's face contorts into a mischievous grin, "Orcs got them to.  Their path ended in screams of pain, but it did little to ease my sorrow.   If father doesn't already know what happened, he will want to when he sends for me.  Might be they are on their way right now, if Donal already told him I am here.  Hiding from him would only make it worse when he finds out I am here.  Mayhaps I should show him the writ and ask..."  

Custer suddenly stands, looking surprised, as if he forgot something important.  He walks to the door of the stable and looks around outside, as if expecting to see someone.  While watching, he keeps an ear to the conversation behind him, turning his head every once and a while to show he is still listening as the others speak.  When Shorjahl mentions talking to the Harpers, Custer says, "Bleh!  We only just now got rid of them.  Why should we help those meddlers?  We have the writ.  If we are fortunate enough to retrieve the gold, we should keep it for the Hall of Hale.  Or at the worst, take it back to Bauldur's Gate ourselves.  Might be the merchants would reward us better than the Harpers.  Hey, do you think Kesian's cult had anything to do with this?  Geld seem convinced something important was taken, and they were looking for something up in those mountains..."

Last edited by Custer Thickett on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Shorjahl's face changes from sorrow to terror to anger during Custer's tale. He simply pats the hin on the back, squeezing his shoulder comfortingly when he pauses. After returning, his face draws down into a frown. "Hmm, that is a troubling thought. I can't help but feel that the militarization of these orcs and the growing strength of Keisan's Cyricists are connected." He looks to the others, then on Kellar. "What do you make of this?"
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Osvald Hale Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:00 pm

Osvalds heart sank for Cuss. Revenge was a sorrowful burden to bare, more so in secrecy and silence.

He moved to his mount, a wiry stallion patched with sable and grey, and slung his gear into place behind the saddle.

"The Orcs are a threat, whose motives we don't fully know. I agree the Cryicists my be involved... Hell, even the writ may be connected, but without knowing what was stolen the implications are weak at best."

Osvald leaned against the stable post

"If we pursue the writ and follow whatever trail it leads us down, we'll certainly have a run in with Cuss' father and our new drow friend. The Orcs are a more concrete target, but beyond trapping an' interrogating a few I don't know where else we'd start for information on Kiesan."

Looking to his companions the huntsman goes on: "I don't want to speak for anyone, but I believe we should only pursue the writ further if Cuss is prepared to go down that road. If this city is as bad as he says, we may very well be assassinated, framed, or worse. We'll need Cuss' knowledge of this place if we're to survive at all after the impact we've made tonight. If he's not ready, there is no loss of honor to pursue the Orc menace."

Osvald sighs, spits again.

"I've said enough. I leave it to you all. Where ye go, I'll follow."

=====

Blah blah blah
Osvald Hale
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:25 pm

"They are not ready for me, Osvald.  Except for K'Tesh, maybe.  My sister might can help.  I hope she'll be along soon."  Custer says while looking out to the street. "If we continue to lack for leads on the Writ, then mayhaps we should see if there are any of these, what did you call them? Cyricist? In the city. Kilik could buy one a drink." Custer turns to crack a sly smile at the dwarf.
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kellar Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:57 pm

Kellar listened to Cus' story of loss and reflected on his own. I've seen so many faces leave this world, looks of horror, shock, and some that fell still, knowing they were dead. He shakes his head at Cus' story. He sees Shorjahl's comforting gesture toward Cus. Kellar stared off outside toward the sky.

What do you think, questioned Shorjahl. Kellar snapped out of his stare to the sky. I think we're no closer to finding out who produced the writ. Adrianna and Geld stormed off, and Shorjahl thinks maybe he can patch this agreement back together. That's all fine and dandy, but the drow is sure to be looking out for us and our every move while in the city. Little One thinks he's ready for whatever will come our direction. I'd agree, except that the lot of us, other than him are out of our element, Kellar said.

Lord Hale and Shorjahl have identified a tangible enemy, one that we can clearly see as enemy. This treachery in shadows benefits those that have practiced those ways. All I know is direct combat and laying traps. If I see an enemy, I can attack it, if I can't see our enemy, I'm not very useful, he concluded.

Kellar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:33 pm

"Then I think our best course of action lies in two directions. One, we go and speak with Geld and Adrianna. We can use their contacts and their assets. Two, we go and see Thickett himself."

Shorjahl crosses his arms, judging his companions' faces.
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kellar Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:45 pm

Kellar hear's Shorjahl speak up and offer a solution.

Kellar nods to Shorjahl. It seems he's thinking a bit clearer, than just barging in on a drow and his company.

Sounds like a plan to me, if the others are on board. I'm interested in seeing Adrianna get all worked up again. I'm not a glutton for punishment, but I do admire her spirit, chuckled Kellar.

What say the rest of you? Master Dwarf? Lord Hale? Kellar said as he looked to the rest of them.
Kellar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Osvald Hale Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:49 pm

"Aye, a step back to the harpers may be a step in the right direction. We'll need a glib, silver tongue with them now I expect. Kilik, Cuss?"
Osvald Hale
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next